Skip to content

UkuleleMikeLynch | Staying Connected “With Just 4 Strings”

March 25, 2020

Dear ukulele friends,

We may be separated from one another, especially now while we try to keep each other safe, but only physically. I see the world coming closer together-in spirit-for the common good.

We are a global community, reaching across all countries, on all continents. Some might say that we are scattered across the world, but I believe we are connected; connected by our love of music, and in particular, by our love of playing the ukulele.

Our family is grateful for the outpouring of love and support from you, the ukulele community, after Mike left this life so unexpectedly.  I have enjoyed getting to know you through our exchanges and it is so meaningful to know that Mike’s legacy of teaching lives on after him.

And now, though we are separated physically from one another, while we strive to keep others safe by distancing ourselves from others, I see us coming closer together in spirit. And in that spirit, I offer again Mike’s song dedicated to the global ukulele community: With Just 4 Strings.

Mahalo Nui Loa!

Collene Lynch

wordpress3.25

28 Comments leave one →
  1. Darlene Mercer permalink
    March 25, 2020 2:54 p03

Thank you for the wonderful post. So nice to hear Mike’s voice again. I still miss him and his gentle spirit, as I’m sure you do also. God bless you and keep you safe during this time of trouble we are all experiencing. ❤️🤗🎼 -Darlene Mercer

• March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Aloha Darlene and thank you for your kind words! He really was a kind and gently soul. I pray for your safety as well; we are all in this together! Mahalo! Collene

2. Carol permalink
    March 25, 2020 2:54 p03

Hi, thanks for the soothing post. I still enjoy the video that Mike shared on youtube until today. Hope everyone stay safe and have a nice day.

3. Stephanie Simms permalink
    March 25, 2020 2:54 p03

What a thrill it was to receive this email. It brought tears to my eyes, what a brilliant gesture to send this email out at these trying times Mike would have approved whole heartedly.
    Thank you.
    Regards Stephanie Simms

• March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Thanks Stephanie! I believe Mike gave me the prod (and helped me find the page with his passwords) to try this. It brings tears to my eyes to know that it didn’t just go into the ether…I didn’t realize until I logged back in (this is so new to me) that I would be able to see peoples’ responses. Mahalo! Collene

4. aquaman_jp@hotmail.com permalink
    March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

As I’m sure you are aware, Mike very literally assisted and guided thousands of less-musically talented peop

• March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

You know what is special? He really, really loved teaching-at all levels, which is why he developed so much in so short a time for everyone, no matter their experience! Mahalo! Collene

5. Carmencita Lopez permalink
    March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Hi, I would like to know if you are still selling his ukelele books and if so how can I place my order.

Carmen

Sent from my iPad

• March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Aloha Carmencita! Yes, we are still making all of Mike’s music available on his website, which we are diligently working on improving. Just go to ukulelemikelynch.com/store and follow the directions on the page. Mahalo!
      Collene

6. brighteyesmm permalink
    March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Thank you from south central Pennsylvania. Collene, for posting Mike’s song ….his words are a bright spot in this challenging time for our world. Happy Thursday:)Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

7. Tracey Firestone permalink
    March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Thank you for keeping in touch with us! Mike helped me learn the ukulele, which helped me get through a very tough time with my health! Because of my health, I have now forgotten how to play. I also have a bad shoulder which makes it hard to strum and finger pick, as my hand is pins and needles. I do think I’m going to try again, thanks to you and your family for leaving his teachings up on youtube. Mike knew of my situation and was so caring and understanding, and always eager to help out! God bless you and your family! Please stay safe❤️

• March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Hi Tracey, Mike had a unique relationship with his followers so your comment doesn’t surprise me…but it still gives my heart a tug. Maybe you could try just a little bit at a time. As Mike always counseled: It’s better to practice just a few minutes a day, than to practice for a long time less often/sporadically. Even 5 minutes a day could make a difference. 🙂 You stay safe as well! Mahalo! Collene

8. Patrick Turner permalink
    March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Thank you. What Mike has left is indelible.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

9. Susanne Kibler-Hacker permalink
    March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Dear Collene,
    What a surprise to see a Ukulele Mike message in my inbox! Mike gave so many the gift of music
    which is making this moment in time more bearable. I remain grateful to him for helping me improve my playing, the wealth of music he offered, and especially for his encouragement when I started to do my own arrangements.
    Peace and good health to you and your family,
    Susanne

• March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Aloha Susanne! I am glad you received encouragement from him (but not surprised). 🙂 I wish you good health as well! Mahalo! Collene

10. Laurie permalink
    March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

I learned to play uke and perfecting my chord shapes by playing along with Mike. I ordered several of his online books and kept going. I kept practicing his chord melodies and I go to those books and plsy for peace in these difficult times. Thank you to Mike!

11. Rita Shelton permalink
    March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Thank you so much for sending this. I am a big fan of your husband and his tutorials are my favorites. Thank you for continuing his legacy.

Rita Shelton

• March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Thanks Rita! I feel compelled to continue…which is why I pursued trying to post a blog on his site, as well. Mahalo! Collene

12. Elise Lee permalink
    March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Thank you for sharing with us “With four strings”, very appropriate at this time. I passed your message to the “Hill Strummers” group of ukulele players in Los Alamos, New Mexico. Perhaps we will perform this song in our next gig in memory of Mike.

• March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Aloha Elise! And will you please give a big ALOHA to the Hill Strummers in NM for me? I would love it if you would ping me if you ever do! Mahalo! Collene

13. ggebhard5622@comcast.net permalink
    March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

What a nice surprise to receive this email from you!!! Mike taught me how to play my ukulele. I loved him! I play cord melody and have all his books. I often go back to YouTube to play with him. It’s like he is still here with us. God bless you and the rest of your family. He was a gem of a Christian and was loved by thousands from all around the world. If he were still here, he’d write a new song to help us through these difficult times. I can’t tell you how much this email meant to me! I needed a uplifting thing to brighten my day! God Bless you! You are not alone.

• March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Aloha! Thanks for your support! I absolutely know that if Mike were still here he would be writing a song to help us through this time of trouble…I’ll be posting more in the future…just getting my feet wet. 🙂

14. Lis Carlson permalink
    March 26, 2020 2:54 p03

Dear Collene
    Thank you for such a heartwarming message. And yes I fully agree we are all connected especially through the music and do you know it’s very comforting to know and feel that.
    I know if Mike were here he would do all he could to help us through this challenging time.
    Sending love and care your way.
    Lis